• Can I make up for missing credit points that I need in order to qualify for admission to the Master program?

    Candidates must satisfy the entry requirements before they apply for a place on the Master’s degree course. They cannot make up for missing credit points. Students cannot be admitted to the course on the basis of making up for lost points. The University of Münster does not provide bridging or preparatory courses to help first-degree holders to gain admission to the Master program.

  • I am among the best ten percent of the final-year students in my age group. How can I prove this?

    You can provide sufficient evidence by indicating your final grade in ECTS. If you are among the best ten percent of the final-year students in your age group, you will have obtained the maximum grade (A) in the ECTS system. The Admissions Committee will accept a certified ranking list showing that you were among the best ten percent of final-year students in your cohort. If you have not yet completed your course, the committee will accept a provisional certificate to the effect that you are among the best ten percent in your cohort.

    It is important that this certificate be issued by an Examinations Office or signed by the Dean of the Faculty. Letters of recommendation are not accepted as proof.

  • Can I apply if I won’t be completing my BA course until after the end of this semester?

    You can apply for a place on the Master’s course even if you won’t be completing your bachelor’s course until after the end of the ongoing semester. However, all your pending examinations must have been taken by September, 30. Until you have obtained your BA degree, your application for a place on the MA course will be deemed provisional. As you would not yet have your final certificate, you have to submit a transcript of records indicating your current average mark, showing that you have so far earned at least 140 ECTS. The transcript must bear an official stamp or seal, as well as the signature of the Dean of the Faculty or a member of the Examinations Office or an online verification link.

    The outstanding achievements of the current semester will be taken into account in the application. Please indicate the outstanding achievements (module title incl. ECTS points) in the online application tool at the given point.

    The Admissions Committee will take account of the examinations you will have to sit in the ongoing semester. When you log in to the applications portal, you will be asked to provide information about these examinations. This information includes the titles of modules and the ECTS points awarded for these course components. The Admissions Committee will assess all the information you provide, if you can prove that you have already registered for the examinations that you mention.

  • How should I proceed if I wish to submit foreign certificates?

    Translate your certificates: Non-German university and matriculation certificates must be translated into German or English. The same applies to transcripts of records. All translations must be certified.

    Convert your notes: The modified Bavarian formula must be used to convert grades which are not displayed according to the grading scheme of the Examination Regulations. Further information about grade conversion can be found in "Prepare your Application" on our applications page.

    Convert Credit Points: If the credit point system used in the university certificate deviates from the ECTS, the credit points indicated in the certificate have to be converted to ECTS points. Information concerning grade and credit points conversion must be presented in a separate document, which must be uploaded along with the university certificate or transcript of records. It is not essential that the document about grade conversion be certified or signed by an official. Further information about conversion of credit points can be found in "Prepare your Application" on our applications page.

  • Do applicants need to have 30 points in economics and 30 points in maths and statistics in order to qualify for entry to the course?

    No. Applicants need to have 30 ECTS points altogether in economics, maths and statistics.

  • Can a points deficit in economics, maths and statistics be offset by extra points awarded for business administration?

    No. Up to 16 missing points in general business administration can be compensated for by extra points awarded for maths and statistics. To put it more precisely, if applicants can prove they have earned over 30 points for economics, maths and statistics, they can use up to 16 extra ECTS for maths and statistics to offset a points deficit in business administration.

  • Can I hand in documents after the closing date for receipt of applications?

    No. Documents cannot be handed in after the closing date for receipt of applications. Check your application documents carefully to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything. The application deadline for the winter semester 2023/2024 is July 15, 2023.

  • Can I apply for a place on a course that begins in the summer semester?

    No. If you apply for a first-semester place, your course will begin in the winter semester.



  • What is the difference between entry and admission?

    A clear distinction is drawn between entry and admission. The Admissions Committee must first decide whether applicants qualify for entry to the course. If they do, the Committee then considers whether the admission requirements have been satisfied. Applicants who fail to meet the entry requirements receive a rejection letter. In order to determine to what extent the admission requirements have been fulfilled, the Admissions Committee awards points on the basis of the marks earned by applicants. The names of applicants are then arranged in order of merit. The applicants who have been awarded the highest number of points receive notifications of acceptance.

  • How good are my chances of being admitted?

    We cannot make any predictions at this stage. Documents submitted by candidates are not examined until after the closing date for receipt of applications, and no predictions about individuals can be made, because each applicant’s prospects of success depend to a certain extent on the overall quality of the candidate pool.

  • Does the amount of time that elapses between leaving school and university entrance improve a candidate’s chance of being admitted?

    No account is taken of the amount of time an applicant with a school leaving certificate has to wait before embarking on his/her studies.

  • When will I receive a reply to my application?

    Shortly after the closure of the application procedure, probably at the beginning of August. If you log in to the applications portal, you can access your application status or your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS). Notifications of acceptance are not posted to applicants, and are only made available online.

  • What documents do I need in order to enrol for the course?

    The documents required for enrolment are listed in your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS). For more details, please contact the Student Admissions Office.

  • Can I hand in my certificate later if it hasn’t yet been issued when I want to enrol for the master’s degree course?

    If you are still taking examinations when you apply, your application is deemed provisional. If you are admitted to the course, your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) will contain information about the remaining procedures that have to be followed. The deadline for submission of the final certificate can be extended till mid-November at the latest. Further information about deadlines can be found in your CAS. Enquiries relating to the submission of certificates for the purpose of enrolment should be addressed to the Student Admissions Office.



  • How should I proceed if I would like to spend a semester abroad?

    Information for students who wish to spend a semester abroad can be found on the web page of the Faculty’s International Relations Center (IRC). This information relates to requirements, twinned universities, application procedures, credit transfer, and the like.
  • When and under what conditions can I apply for temporary withdrawal?

    You can apply for temporary withdrawal if you want to study at a foreign university or take up a job. If you want to do a placement, you need the quality label of Münster University’s Careers Service. You can’t withdraw temporarily during your first regular semester in order to take up a placement in Germany. Information about this topic can be found on the web page of the Student Admissions Office.
  • Are there courses in English?

    The course program is entirely in English.

  • Where can I obtain information about dates of examinations and registration for examinations?

    This information can be found on the web pages of the Faculty’s Examinations Office.

  Do you have any questions? Contact us!

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Jan Niklas Dörseln:


    Dr. Jan Niklas Dörseln
    Schlossplatz 3, 48143 Münster
    Room 105
    Tel: +49 (0)251 83-28678