• Can I make up for missing credit points that I need in order to qualify for admission to the MA programme?

    As a matter of principle, the Admissions Committee judges applicants primarily by their academic results. If you don’t satisfy the admission requirements, your application will be turned down. Candidates must satisfy entry requirements before they apply for a place on the master’s degree course. They cannot make up for missing credit points. Students cannot be admitted to the course on condition that they make up for lost points. The University of Münster does not provide remedial or preparatory courses to help first-degree holders to gain admission to the MA programme.
  • How can I prove that I know enough English?

    There are reasonable grounds for believing that applicants have a good grasp of English if they have studied at a university, spent a semester or served an internship in an English-speaking country. The same is true of persons who have successfully completed a BA in which lectures, seminars and tutorials were held in English. Furthermore, one of the following official Language certificates are accepted: TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, Cambridge (minimum level B2). Applicants are required to hand in documents in order to substantiate their claims relating to their linguistic competence. Vague and general references to languages in a CV will not be deemed sufficient. English learnt at school or English course at university are not taken into consideration.

  • I am among the best ten percent of the final-year students in my age group. How can I prove this?

    You can provide sufficient evidence by indicating your final grade in ECTS. If you are among the best ten percent of the final-year students in your age group, you will have obtained the maximum grade (A) in the ECTS system. The Admissions Committee will accept a certified ranking list showing that you were among the best ten percent of the final-year students in your age group. If you have not yet completed your course, the committee will accept a provisional certificate to the effect that you are among the best ten percent of the students in your age group. It is important that this certificate should be issued by an Examinations Office or signed by the Dean of the Faculty. Letters of recommendation are not accepted as proof.
  • Can I apply if I won’t be completing my BA course until after the end of this semester? What do I have to bear in mind?

    You can apply for a place on the master’s course even if you won’t be completing your bachelor’s course until after the end of the ongoing semester. However, all your pending examinations must have been taken by 30 September. As long as you have not obtained your BA degree, your application for a place on the MA course will be deemed provisional. As you do not yet have your final certificate, you have to submit a transcript of records indicating your current average mark and showing that you have so far earned at least 140 ECTS. The transcript must bear an official stamp or seal as well as the signature of the Dean of the Faculty or a member of the Examinations Office personnel or an online verificationlink.

    The Admissions Committee will take account of the examinations you will have to sit in the ongoing semester. When you log in to the applications portal, you will be asked to provide information about these examinations. This information includes the titles of modules and the ECTS points awarded for these course components. The Admissions Committee will assess all the information you provide if you can prove that you have already registered for the examinations you mention.

  • How should I proceed if I wish to submit foreign certificates?

    Non-German university and matriculation certificates must be translated into German or English. The same goes for the transcript of records. All translations must be certified.

    The modified Bavarian formula must be used to convert foreign or indigenous grades which are not displayed according to the grading scheme of the Examination Regulations (§ 17 Abs. 3 Prüfungsordnung Master BWL).

    Users are requested to download an Excel file which has been provided here. Alternatively, the formula can be accessed as a PDF-File.

    If the credit point system used in the university certificate deviates from the ECTS, the credit points indicated in the certificate have to be converted to ECTS points. Information concerning grade conversion must be presented in a separate document, which must be uploaded along with the university certificate or transcript of records. It is not essential that the document about grade conversion should be certified or signed by an official. Further information about grade conversion can be found in the ‘Important Information about Applications’ on our applications page.

  • Do applicants need to have 30 points in economics and 30 points in maths and statistics in order to qualify for entry to the course?

    No. Applicants need to have 30 ECTS points altogether in economics, maths and statistics.
  • Can a points deficit in economics, maths and statistics be offset by extra points awarded for business administration?

    No. Up to ten missing points in general business administration (not the major option) can be compensated for by extra points awarded for maths and statistics. To put it more precisely, if applicants can prove they have earned over 30 points for economics, maths and statistics, they can use up to ten extra ECTS for maths and statistics to offset a points deficit in business administration.
  • Can I hand in documents after the closing date for receipt of applications?

    No. Documents cannot be handed in after the closing date for receipt of applications. Check your application documents carefully to make sure you haven’t forgotten anything. Our checklist will come in handy here. It should, however, be pointed out that exceptions are made for foreign nationals with university entry qualifications. Like other prospective MA candidates, they are required to submit their applications by 31 May, but they may be granted deadline extension until 15 July when they have to produce documents proving that they have a sufficiently sound grasp of German.
  • Can I apply for several major options?

    No. You can only apply for one major option.
  • Can I apply for a place on a course that begins in the summer semester?

    No. If you apply for a first-semester place, your course will begin in the winter semester.

    Who to contact



  • What is the difference between entry and admission?

    A clear distinction must be drawn between entry and admission. The Admissions Committee must first decide whether applicants qualify for entry to the course. If they do, the Committee turns its attention to the question of whether admission requirements have been satisfied. Applicants who fail to meet entry requirements receive a rejection letter. In order to determine to what extent admission requirements have been fulfilled, the Admissions Committee awards points on the basis of the marks earned by applicants. The names of applicants are then arranged in order of merit. The applicants who have been awarded the highest number of points receive notifications of acceptance. At least 300 applicants are admitted each semester.

  • How good are my chances of being admitted?

    We cannot make any prognostications at this stage. Documents submitted by candidates are not examined until after the closing date for receipt of applications, and no predictions about individuals can be made because each applicant’s prospects of success depend to a certain extent on the overall quality of the candidate pool. In the winter semester 2016/17 about 2100 applicants applied for 300 study places.
  • Does the amount of time that elapses between leaving school and university entrance improve a candidate’s chance of being admitted?

    No account is taken of the amount of time an applicant with a school leaving certificate has to wait before embarking on his/her studies.
  • When shall I receive a reply to my application?

    Shortly after the closure of the application procedure, probably at the beginning of August. If you log in to the applications portal, you can access your application status or your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS). It should be remembered that notifications of acceptance are not posted to applicants. They are only made available online.
  • Which documents do I need in order to enrol for the course?

    The documents required for enrolment are listed in your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS). For more details, please contact the Student Affairs Office.
  • Can I hand in my certificate later if it hasn’t yet been issued when I want to enrol for the master’s degree course?

    If you are still taking examinations when you apply, your application is deemed provisional. If you are admitted to the course, your confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) will contain information about the remaining procedures that have to be followed. The deadline for the submission of the final certificate can be extended till mid-November at the latest. Further information about deadlines can be found in your CAS. Enquiries relating to the submission of certificates for the purpose of enrolment should be addressed to the Student Affairs Office.



  • As I studied at another university, I lack a certain amount of knowledge. Can I acquire this missing knowledge in the course of my studies in Münster?

    As the master’s degree course is a follow-on to a bachelor’s course in business administration run by the University of Münster, the subject matter covered by the MA course overlaps to a certain extent with that of the BA programme. It is up to applicants to fill in gaps in their knowledge. Relevant information can be found on the web pages of various centres. By clicking on the menu item ‘Study’, you can access information about the content of the BA course in business administration run by the University of Münster.
  • How should I proceed if I would like to spend a semester abroad?

    Information for students who wish to spend a semester abroad can be found on the web page of the Faculty’s International Relations Center (IRC). This information relates to requirements, twinned universities, application procedures, credit transfer, and the like.
  • When and under what conditions can I apply for temporary withdrawal?

    You can apply for temporary withdrawal if you want to study at a foreign university or take up a placement. If you want to do a placement, you need the quality label of Münster University’s Careers Service. You can’t withdraw temporarily during your first regular semester in order to take up a placement in Germany. Information about this topic can be found on the web page of the Student Affairs Office.
  • Are there courses in English?

    Courses in English are run by several centres – notably the finance and marketing centres. Information about these courses can be found in the Module Guide Book or on the home pages of various institutes.
  • How can I put my timetable together?

    The university calendar can be found here. Information about changes in times and locations is provided on the home pages of various institutes.
  • Where can I obtain information about dates of examinations and registration for examinations?

    This information can be found on the web pages of the Faculty’s Examinations Office.
  • I’d like to change my minor option. How should I proceed?

    Decisions concerning minor options are taken at the beginning of the first semester via this web form. A minor option can only be changed once – at the latest in the first teaching week of the second regular semester. After a compulsory counselling session with a programme leader, you have to make a written application for a change of minor option. Application forms are available on request from the programme leader for your course. The completed form should be sent to the Examinations Office.