Road to Montreal - Your opportunity for the University of Münster to demonstrate your expertise and defend our title in one of the most prestigious case competitions in the world.
The John Molson MBA International Case Competition brings together more than 30 international universities annually in a week-long case competition in Montreal, Canada. In this setting, teams solve multiple case studies and present their findings to an expert panel of international executives. Along the way, students are prepared by experienced case coaches and can learn how to solve case studies and develop their analytical skills. Apply now and become part of our team!
The John Molson MBA International Case Competition
The School of Business and Economics at the University of Münster has participated in the John Molson MBA International Case Competition for years. The competition takes place under the motto "Innovate. Connect. Compete." and will take place from January 2 to January 7, 2024 in Montréal, Canada. This year, the University of Münster will once again send a diverse team of four master's students and two research assistants as supervisors. Together, Team Münster will travel to Montreal and work on 3-hour case studies each day at the conference hotel, followed by a presentation in front of an expert jury of executives (including C-level managers, management consultants and bankers).
In the preliminary round, Team Münster will be drawn into a division with five other international universities (including Michigan State University, University of Cape Town and Porto Business School). In direct competition against the other teams, the table leaders of each division are determined in five case studies. The division leaders and best second-placed teams will compete against each other in a semifinal round. The winning team is determined in a final round and celebrated together at a subsequent gala dinner.
- A variety of off-site events, such as a get-together for all attendees and a career fair with North American companies (including Bombardier, CGI and Pratt & Whitney), will provide opportunities to meet other ambitious students, experienced executives and interesting companies throughout the week of the event.
- Curious to see what to expect during the week of the event? You can find out in the John Molson MBA ICC 2023 aftermovie.
What can you expect?
- "Learning by doing" - By solving numerous case studies during the preparation phase, as well as during the competition week, you will learn practical case study solving skills.
- "Teamwork makes the dream come true" - Throughout the preparation and event you will grow together with the other students as a team and spend an unforgettable competition week in Canada.
- "International Networking" - In addition to case work and case presentations, you will have the opportunity to meet other international students and leaders through a variety of programs.
- "Getting credit" - Participation in the John Molson Case Competition can be credited with 6 ECTS. For students with Major Accounting credit is possible for ACM09, ACM12 or ACM15. For students with other majors, appropriate solutions are being sought; in the past, credit was possible for students with the Finance major as "Free Elective" FCM15 and for students with the Management major as "Cases & Presentation" CfM01. Credit for students with Major Marketing as "Elective" MCM18 is also conceivable. Master students in Information Systems may earn 6 ECTS for the "Elective Business Administration".
- "All-inclusive" - The university enables the team to be optimally prepared for the event week by experienced case coaches. In addition, travel costs and accommodation in the Hotel Bonaventure are covered.
- We look forward to receiving your application, consisting of a letter of motivation, a curriculum vitae and transcript of records in English by October 15, 2023, 6.00 pm via this webform. Notice: The application window is closed, applying is no longer possible.
- The participants will be selected by the Institute of Management Accounting and Control during a separate selection day on October 17, 2023. Master students of all majors are invited to apply for participation.
- On the selection day, students will be given a case study that they must work on in assigned teams within three hours and present their findings in English to a panel of judges made up of members of the Institute. Subsequently, a team of four students will be selected, which will be prepared for the competition through several training sessions and will represent the University of Münster at the John Molson MBA International Case Competition 2023 in Montréal, Canada.
|October 15, 2023, 6 p.m.||Application deadline|
|Ocotber 17, 2023, time tba||Selection day|
|October 2023 till December 2023||Trainings after arrangement|
|November 30 to December 1, 2023||Presentation training & meeting the German teams @SMP Düsseldorf|
|January 2 to 7, 2024||Competition|