Presentation and Communication
Wochentag, Zeit und Ort
Thursday, 12-14h. Room: KTh II
Datum der ersten Veranstaltung
1. General information
- Course in Bachelor's Program (PO 2010, Module Schlüsselqualifikation, 2nd study year)
- Course assessment: Regular attendance and active participation, final presentation/report (3 LP)
2. Learning Objectives, Contents and Methodology
- Learning Objective is to familiarise students with presentation techniques and the art of rhetoric, while simultaneously improving their knowledge of and proficiency in English.
- Bases of good communication, including: content structure and logic, the use of voice, body language and gestures.
- Specific presentation techniques, focusing on clear and precise use of the English language, as well as the use of slides, charts and other visual media.
- Rhetoric: good and confident appearance, overcoming stage fright; preparation, planning and use of content.
- The use of humour and other means of maintaining interest and attention, with a particular focus on the foreign language aspect.
- Improving your English: common mistakes made by Germans and how to prevent them. Some grammatical input, consideration of such issues as tenses, false friends, prepositions and so on.
- Methodology: The course will entail a combination of formal instruction and presentations by the group, with substantial feedback from the instructor. Presentation topics will be assigned in due course.
3. Application and Registration
- The number of participants is limited to 1x20, for didactic reasons.
- All 20 seats will be randomly allocated. The application period closed on 18.09.2017 09:00 a.m.
- Accepted participants still need to register at the examination office.
- Steele, W.R. (2009): Presentation Skills 201: How to Take It to the Next Level as a Confident, Engaging Presenter, 2009.
- Siddons, S. (2008): The Complete Presentation Skills Handbook: How to Understand and Reach Your Audience for Maximum Impact and Success, 2008.
- Renz, K.-C. (2013): Das 1x1 der Präsentation: Für Schule, Studium und Beruf, Wiesbaden 2013.
- Heigl, P. (2011): 30 Minuten Rhetorik, 20. Aufl., Offenbach 2011.
- You can access downloads using the following link with your ZIV-login.
- Approaches & Humour & Appearence & Dress
- Building rapport with the audience & Dalai Lama case
- Choosing and using visual aids
- Clichés and stereotypes
- Improving your English
- Listening Skills
- Presentation details & What to talk about & Objectives & Title
- Quotes in Presentations
- Stage Fright and Nerves
- Topics - various considerations