You can take out a student or non-student loan if are not supported by your parents or a foundation, you do not receive a student grant from the state (BAFöG), you are unable or unwilling to do casual jobs, or you are still struggling to make ends meet despite the funding that has been made available from the aforementioned sources.

More detailed information can be found  here